SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#181834 - 01/22/04 05:52 PM Chord in "Piano Man"
Grubba99 Offline

In Elton John's live version of "Piano Man", He begins the song with a sudden opening chord(Right before that little opening solo thing he does). Does anybody know what that opening chord is??? I think its a 7th or something but I'm not sure.

Also, that little solo thing he starts off with(before the song really begins). What's the deal with it? Does anybody know what hes soloing in? Is it a jazz scale? Thanx

#181835 - 01/23/04 08:17 AM Re: Chord in "Piano Man"
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Are you sure it wasn't Billy Joel that was playing the beginning part? I never saw the Live version but if I'm not mistaken Billy Joel was the other half of the duet.

The Chord he(??) starts out with is the 1st inversion of C with an added E note. The progression is as follows (I think) C with an E note (right hand) and a E in the Bass (left hand) - C7/E - Bb/F - Gm7 - F. Of course he's(??) using both hands, and with the left he's(??) playing the lower registers and he's(??) adding other fill notes besides the Chords and the Bass notes more than likely.

Anybody else want to take a stab at it?

PS: I think the Chord progression that's used could be considered a Blues scale more so than a Jazz scale.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-23-2004).]

#181836 - 01/23/04 08:30 AM Re: Chord in "Piano Man"
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
When I play it, I throw in a bottom "G" on the opening "C" chord.
I think you're right about the blues scale idea. Here's a thot, in an attempt to prove my point...play the opening progression, while singing the lyrics to "Bo Jangles". Spooky isn't it?
Just my thots...

#181837 - 01/23/04 10:27 AM Re: Chord in "Piano Man"
Grubba99 Offline

Myyyyy bad. It is Joel. sorry, and thanx for the info

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online